Trump’s plan to end war pushed back by Zelensky, welcomed by Putin

TLEDESK: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Friday pushed back against a US proposal to end Russia’s invasion, while Russian President Vladimir Putin praised the plan, which incorporates several of Moscow’s long-standing demands. President Donald Trump has given Kyiv less than a week to accept the terms.

Zelensky vowed to work relentlessly to ensure any final agreement would not “betray” Ukraine’s interests, acknowledging the risk of alienating Washington, Kyiv’s most influential ally.

Putin, in contrast, said the blueprint could “lay the foundation” for a final settlement, though he warned that Russia would seize more territory if Ukraine walked away from negotiations.

Calling the moment “one of the most difficult” in Ukraine’s modern history, Zelensky said he would present “alternatives” to Trump’s 28-point proposal.

A plan that alarms Kyiv and Europe

The proposal has shocked Ukraine and its European partners, as it would effectively force Kyiv to accept major concessions:

  • surrender territory to Russia,
  • reduce its army,
  • commit never to join NATO, and
  • hold snap elections.

Under a draft seen by AFP, Russia would gain additional land, be reintegrated into the global economy and rejoin the G8.

“Ukraine and its European allies are still living under illusions and dreaming of inflicting a strategic defeat on Russia on the battlefield,” Putin said during a televised meeting with his security council.

He claimed that Russia had captured the northeastern city of Kupiansk and warned similar gains would follow if Kyiv rejected negotiation efforts. The Ukrainian military denied the claim, insisting Kupiansk remains under Ukrainian control.

Zelensky resists pressure

“We did not betray Ukraine then, we will not do so now,” Zelensky said, recalling the country’s resistance since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022.

“I will present arguments, I will persuade, I will propose alternatives,” he said.

Trump had earlier said that next Thursday would be an “appropriate time” for Zelensky to agree to a deal, though he suggested the deadline could be adjusted.

After meeting US Vice President JD Vance, Zelensky said Ukraine still “respects” Trump’s desire to end the war. He also held an urgent call with German, French and British leaders, who have been largely excluded from the US-led process.

Zelensky’s office said he plans to speak directly with Trump in the coming days.

Key terms of the proposal

The US plan includes:

  • recognising territories under Moscow’s control as “de-facto” Russian,
  • requiring Kyiv to withdraw from parts of the Donetsk region—an area roughly the size of Luxembourg,
  • capping the Ukrainian army at 600,000 troops,
  • banning NATO membership and NATO troop presence,
  • providing Ukraine with unspecified “security guarantees”,
  • financing Ukraine’s reconstruction partly using frozen Russian assets.

“The pressure on Ukraine is one of the hardest,” Zelensky said, dressed in black during a national address. “Ukraine may face a very difficult choice: either the loss of dignity or the risk of losing a key partner.”

In a joint statement, Britain, France and Germany reaffirmed their “unwavering and full support for Ukraine on the path to a lasting and just peace.”

Russia welcomes talks, threatens escalation

Putin said he had discussed an early version of the plan with Trump before their August 15 meeting in Alaska and that Russia was ready to “show flexibility”—without specifying what that meant.

Moscow is prepared to hold detailed talks on the updated 28-point plan, he said, warning that if negotiations fail, Russia will continue its offensive.

The Trump administration has rejected allegations that it jointly developed the proposal with Moscow.

Public reaction: scepticism and disbelief

The White House has given Zelensky until November 27—Thanksgiving Day in the United States—to decide on what it labelled a “good plan” for both sides.

In Kyiv, public opinion remains split. Some citizens argue Ukraine should negotiate from a position of disadvantage to avoid worse outcomes; others say the plan amounts to surrender.

“Neither us nor Russia will make concessions,” said Yanina, a 41-year-old seamstress. “This will lead nowhere.”

In political circles, frustration is widespread. “Being completely mind blown has become our norm,” one Ukrainian MP told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *